What you’ll need : :
- Scrap fabric pieces measuring at least 2″x 2″ each
- Purchased Pompoms
- Pearl Cotton or DMC embroidery floss
- Sharp scissors and an embroidery needle
- Note * Click on any of my images for a larger picture
Making the Fabric Pompoms : :
1. Place the pompom in the center of the fabric scrap 2. Fold the edges of the fabric up around the pompom 3. Wrap the floss around the fabric right above the pompom 4. Knot thread ends together well, trim, and trim the fabric ends even Continue making your Fabric Pompoms until you have the amount you need. Fabric Pompoms Details : :
I’m adding mine to my Fabric Lover’s Apron, any item will use these same instructions.
1. Layout your design 2. Place the Fabric Pompom onto the item 3. Using a needle threaded with floss and knotted at one end, insert the needle at one side of the pompom pulling up through the back of the fabric item 4. Pull thread all the way through until it catches the knot 5. Insert the needle on the other side of the pompom, pulling back though the fabric so the floss is holding the pompom tightly in place 6. Knot well, close to the fabric, and trim away excess floss Continue until all of your Fabric Pompoms are attached. Voila! You’re finished! Variation ideas : : You can reverse how you attach them so only the Fabric Pompom ball is showing for a less funky look. You can add them to a pillow this way or attach these just as you would purchased pompom fringe. Here is an example of that on a pillow of mine from Pier1. I hope you enjoy this tutorial!!! This Fabric Pompom detail is something I’ll certainly be adding to the edges of many of my own handmades!